Updated September 3rd, 2003
Two cars of the restored Roger Williams in Danbury, CT, shortly after their restoration and delivery to the Danbury Railway Museum.
-- Photo by and courtesy of David Telesha.
The Readville Paint Shop Is No More!
The former paint shop building at the Readville Shops, which was located on the car shop side of the huge NHRR complex, was demolished during the middle of June 2003. The image above shows the state the building was in at about 5 p.m. on Saturday June 21st. The former paint shop building, which was vacated by the New Haven Railroad after the Readville Shops were closed during June 1958, was used to store Mack FCD rail buses under cover through the early 1960s. At some point during the early 1960s the building was purchased by Burtman Iron Works, which used it as a manufacturing facility for trash dumpsters. Burtman Iron Works went out of business during 2002 and the building, which was in poor condition, has been vacant in recent months. With the demolition of the paint shop building, very little remains from the New Haven Railroad over at the old Readville Car Shops.
Member Phil Johnson (#1196) reports seeing the Roger L Williams Budd cars in the Gardner, MA yard in early December. They were there for a week, shuffled around on the P&W interchange tracks. The car numbers were 140 and 141. These were coupled with NH car 41, still with script herald intact, and a MARC car that looked New Haven. They finally moved East on Saturday, December 12th, at 3 p.m.
Ken Warner reports the units were on their way to Maine where they will be repainted in their original, as delivered, New Haven livery, and then returned to the Danbury Railway Museum.
The following photos are courtesy of and by Phil Johnson (Thanks, Phil). -- January 1st, 1999.
Roger Williams Budd unit #140 is seen above at Gardner, MA, with a MARC RDC. Phil Johnson photo.
Ex-New Haven RDC #41 at Gardner, MA. Phil Johnson photo.
New Haven RDC-1 #41 and a Roger Williams Budd unit at Gardner. Phil Johnson photo.
The old New Haven Railroad rolling lift bridge over the Fort Point Channel in South Boston is being demolished! As of this writing, one span has already been removed (the one closest to the Central Artery) and the two remaining spans will follow once a temporary bridge has been completed to carry trains over the Fort Point Channel while a permanent structure is built.
The 100 year old bridge is in very poor condition and in the way of tunnel construction for Boston's Central Artery replacement project. Efforts to save the old bridge in place or move it to a new location fell through for one reason or another and the bridge's days are now numbered. The bridge linked Boston's South Station with the New Haven's Dover Street coach yards and the Old Colony lines.
For what it is worth, the South Station area is being dramatically transformed by the Central Artery replacement project. Not only is the Fort Point Channel railroad bridge going but the old swing bridge on Broadway is scheduled for demolition, too! -- courtesy of Marc Frattasio, December 1st, 1998.
Dunkin' Donuts has a nice surprise for New Haven fans -- the front cover and September photos in the company's 1999 calendar feature an RS-1 in New Haven paint, complete with the handsome script logo on the cab. The theme of Dunkin' Donuts' 1999 calendar features various community groups. One of the group's featured is the Danbury Railway Museum. The two photos show several DRM volunteers standing along the short hood of the Alco.
Congratulations to Dunkin' Donuts and the Danbury Railway Museum for this nice surprise! -- courtesy of Bill Reidy, December 1st, 1998.